There is SO MUCH to tell you, so lets talk!!!

Monday, February 26, 2007

Bridge to Taribithia


I took my kids to see this movie last weekend and I thought it was a wonderful and meaningful movie. My three kids are all 10 and under and even though there is something very sad about the movie (and I won't say what that is just in case you haven't read the book or watched the movie and want to be surprised), all three of my kids came out saying that it was great and they can't wait for it to come out on video so we can buy it and watch it again.

Just today I downloaded the podcast to "All Books Considered" and listened to it on my daily walk at the park and there was an author interview. The author to this great work is Katherine Peterson and she seemed like a kind and sensitive person. She said that the book was loosely based on an experience that her son had when she was young. He had a wonderful friend, a girl, who died young and was moved by the experience to write a children's book about it. She went on to explain that she thought the reason children liked her books so much was because she acknowledged that they have a full range of feelings that most authors don't acknowledge. This same son, David Lord Paterson, was the screenwriter to Disney's movie adaptation.

Folks, if you haven't already seen it, it's worth watching.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh...I don't like movies with sad parts. I know, I know, it's just a movie but sad parts make me, well, sad. Lion King even got to me when it came out. I think I'm a sad movie whimp?!

I like the funny ones!

Meow Meow said...

Katherine Patterson is a wonderful novelist. I read one of her other books "The Great Gilly Hopkins" in my Literature classes.
THEY LOVE IT EACH YEAR!!!!

She has a way with words, a very talented writer.

Anonymous said...

Oh nice. I was immediately taken with the movie trailer, so it's good to know you recommend it also. I LOVE these kinds of movies. Thanks Pavel! :)

Unknown said...

I was thinking of taking my student and my nieces to see the movie. It's right up my alley. I love those kinds of stories. The kids seem to be interested too :)

Sweet and Salty said...

Rachel: If you're a "sad movie whimp" then don't go see this. It really is a good movie but it tackles a very hard subject. I was very moved sinced I have kids and I would easily try to spare my kids from the pain the child in the movie goes through.

Rebecca: I must read THAT one. Thank you!

Actonbell: You are well read and I would value your opinion after you've read it.

Amber: Two BIG thumbs up for this one. You are an artist and I can imagine you would appreciate the creativity and imagination.

Chrissy: Let me know what you and the kids think!

Meow Meow said...

NO post today?????

Maybe I am just making the rounds early?