There is SO MUCH to tell you, so lets talk!!!

Saturday, April 14, 2007

It's the Pits!

or "Underneath in the Band Pit at Peter Pan"

Did you ever go see a Musical and wonder where the musicians are? No? Shame on you!!!
Just Kidding, of course. You don't pay $70 a ticket for a Musical to wonder about the musicians' plight. I played drums for the dress rehearsal at "Peter Pan" last night and while I was counting my 200 measure rest in a particular song, I took out my camera phone and recorded a bit of the orchestra while they played "Neverland." You can't see me because, obviously, I'm recording, but you can see my drums. The lighting is just terrible and the sound isn't great either, but you kind of get an idea. Actually the actors/singers are right over our heads but the only one who gets to see them is the conductor because he needs to see the ques.



It's actually kind of a cool experience, but it is not "cool" per se. It's very warm in the pit with all the stand lights and eight bodies in that small enclosed area.
So, tell me... What's you're favorite Musical ever? I can't possibly pick one, but I can tell you some of my favorites: Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, Big River, Urinetown, etc...

1 comment:

FelineFrisky said...

What a fantastic perspective. I have wondered about the musicians in the pit. It does seem like it would be very warm down there. Thanks for the sneek peak! D :)